Monday, January 27, 2014

Fish Fillets

I have found that baking gluten free is much more complicated than just cooking. A lot of people who have just recently been diagnosed with Celiac's or a gluten intolerance may seem overwhelmed with the idea of cooking without gluten. Let's face it: our world today relies a lot on prepackaged dinners-many of which have gluten in them. I know this to be true because we relied on them a lot when I got diagnosed. We had a lot of food storage that we had to get rid of because it had some level of gluten in it. So, slowly I have learned how to cook from scratch.

Today's post is a recipe I tried over the last weekend. Actually, I took 2 recipes and combined them. This recipe didn't originally have gluten in it, but it is a tasty dinner idea. My hubby absolutely loved it. He went as far to say "I know you're an amazing cook, but this is absolutely exceptional!!" He certainly knows how to make me feel good.

Anyway, below are the links to the recipes I smashed together, followed by my own version of the tasty dish.
Baked Tilapia with Tomato and Basil
Baked Tilapia with Herb Butter

My recipe:
Baked Tilapia with Herb Butter and Mushrooms

Ingredients:
6 Tilapia Fillets
1 TBSP Basil
1 TSP Oregano
1 TSP Onion Powder
1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
4 TBSP Melted Butter
8 oz Mushrooms
1 TBSP lemon juice
Non-stick cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F

Place a large piece of tinfoil on a cookie sheet. Spray with non stick cooking spray.

Place fillets on the tinfoil.

Melt butter in the microwave. Add spices and herbs and stir. Pour the mixture over the fillets.

Wash the mushrooms and pour over the fillets and herb mix. Fold the tinfoil over the fish and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice before serving.

Serve with an assortment of veggies.

MY TIPS:
-Fresh is always best! If you have fresh herbs, mince and use them. Fresh will go a lot further with flavor than dried.
-I used baby Bella mushrooms. I discovered recently that they have WAY better flavor than regular white mushrooms. (My hubby bought them by mistake when he went shopping. Now I am hooked)
-Know your oven. I always set my timer for about 10 minutes less than the required time and then check it. I do this because my oven cooks differently than others I have used.

My hubby has requested I cook this recipe again this week, so when I do, I'll post pictures. I may try this herb butter with shrimp as well.

Thanks for reading May your table be laden with tasty food!

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment